Monday, January 2, 2012

Candy Box Array Math

   One of my favorite ways to teach-or reteach-arrays is through a project called Candy Box Math.  I think it's a favorite of my kids too.
   Now of course, the great Marilyn Burns first created this project and you can see the directions here: Candy Box Math by Marilyn Burns
I created a cute Candy Box Math Letter to go along with the project, and really get the kids excited. I also created a display so that students could get into groups and create posters to show off.  In the past, I have even done an extensional persuasive paragraph that the kids write-up to explain why there candy bar should be made by a real candy company.  I have even sent them away to Hershey's -but never received anything back. :(
 

The display shows the math work done on the left.  On the right, there is a candy bar design with logo and flavors listed.  Underneath, is the winning array and a few sentences explaining why the kids think this is the best possible packaging for the new candy bar (for this we have a discussion about traditional vs. unique, storage, space it takes up, etc.) The labels are: Candy Box Research, Candy Box Design, and Packaging

1 comment: